Wednesday 3 June 2015

Body and UAC work - Delayed update

This is all work i did a while ago, but forgot to update the blog!  :D

I moved the pivot points on the front suspension, it did the opposite of what i expected. :(  The change in wheel size and addition of the caster has altered the physics. :D  So the caster needs to be moved forward and i think the shock needs to go back to where it was.  But currently he isnt riding like he should.

So i stripped the ankle, remounted the caster and lowered the mech.  It is riding a little high, but it is so much better.  New legs for the caster and a slight height adjustment should get the ride height about right and give a little more firmness to the shock effect.  But we might test with it as it is.

Also need to rework the drive mounts a touch, half the bolts have now threaded on the small depth plate, may look at adding some inserts.  But that can wait.

Back on with the main build and continued working up.  I cut some styrofoam and made a battery holder, and bonded that in.

I then added the speaker back mounts and velcros for the Boom Mat covers.


Then i did the volume knob and octo port.  Same setup as BHD.  But all bonded into place. :D






I was then thinking about the electronics.  I didnt want to add too much weight, but wanted it neat and easy to work on.  So i decided to mount all the electronics into a box.  This may change, but it will be ok for now.


I might redo this.

The UAC (Utility Arm Carrier) has been bothering me.  I have the RotoPod mechs and Master arms, with the twist paws.  So it had to be set well and be a reliable set up.  The mechs are designed for the COM8 frames, so i borrowed the JAG plans and manually transferred them to Cubify.

I cut out the old one. and enough of the top ring to allow the new one to be fitted.


After a few test runs i ended up with a nice solid frame and mount.  But the bearing were nasty, so i ordered some more, they rob a little space, but still fit fine, it is a little tighter.  The assembly isnt the easiest, but is possible. :)

I glued it all with the arms in place, so they sit pretty straight, there maybe a small amount of adjustment of the skins needed but dry for they seem fine without paint.  Im yet to sort the spacer heights, so fun still to be had, but I haven't looked at the master arms yet so will wait to bond it to the droid.  I hope all 4 servos and the LDP lighting will be tested before it goes in forever.

This is the last prototype, before i redid it in black. :)



I had the CBI panel in black, but added top and bottom parts to make a shallow pan for it.  The panel sits about 1-2mmm from the edges and so it quite prominent in the space.  I like it. :)

For the big door i wanted to leave the options open.  I added a pan surround and bonded it in, then made my own blank SK10 panel surround and a back plate.  I did a horrible job on the glue, so painted it, and wedged it into the back.  I will replace this once i know what im doing with the touch screen pad.  Again my gluing was horrible on the surround.  But i found some carbon  fibre vinyl and covered the mistake quite nicely.



So body almost done.  Some electronics and some testing then we can bond in the UAC and the top ring and get testing. :D  There has been more weight added than id like, but hey ho. ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment